Indian Institute of Management Bangalore (IIMB) is a public business school located in Bangalore, Karnataka, India. Founded in 1973, it was the third IIM to be established, after IIM Calcutta and IIM Ahmedabad.
It offers Post Graduate, Doctoral and executive training programmes. The Post Graduate Programme in Management (PGP), a two-year, full-time residential MBA programme is IIMB’s flagship programme. In addition to its main academic programmes, IIMB is also engaged in facilitating research, offering consultant services, conducting seminars and academic conferences and publishing journals.
IIM Bangalore awards diplomas instead of degrees. IIMs have not been set up as universities through an act of Parliament but as charitable societies. IIMs lack regular peer-based academic review of their departments/areas, an oversight proposed to be corrected by legislation governing all 13 IIMs after the Ministry of Human Resource Development rejected IIMB’s plan to award degrees. IIM Bangalore currently offers the following long-duration post-graduate programmes:
- Post-Graduate Program in Management (PGP): Two-year full-time residential program, leading up to Post Graduate Diploma in Management (PGDM) is the flagship program of IIM Bangalore. The first step in admission to the PGP is through the Common Admission Test(CAT) which is followed by a written round and an interview. RTI revealed that the minimum CAT cut-off for PGP was 90 percentile for 2015-16.
- Fellow Program in Management (FPM): The fellow program is the doctoral program started in 1976 to encourage academic research. The Financial Times has ranked IIMB’s doctoral program in the Top 50 globally.
- Post Graduate Program in Enterprise Management (PGPEM): A part-time two-year Post Graduate Program that targets executives from all sectors of business, providing general management education to middle and senior management professionals.
- Executive Post Graduate Program in Management (EPGP): One-year full-time residential post graduate diploma program aimed primarily at candidates with 4 to 12 years of work experience. The first step in admission to the EPGP is through the Graduate Management Admission Test(GMAT) followed by work experience based shortlisting and a personal interview.
- Post Graduate Program in Public Policy Management (PGPPM): Initiated by the Government of India and United Nations Development Program for senior professionals from the Government administration to enable them to make future policy decisions.
- Post Graduate Programme in Aerospace and Aviation Management: IIMB signed an agreement with Toulouse Business Schoolin March 2014 to set up country’s first Executive General Management Programme in Aerospace and Aviation Management. Airbus, one of the world’s leading aircraft manufacturers is sponsoring the part-time program.
The current campus located at Bannerghatta road in Bengaluru was designed by architect B. V. Doshi and was completed in 1983. The campus occupying an area of over 100-acres is located in south Bangalore. IIMB is known for its unique all-stone architecture and lush woods.
Research in IIM Bangalore is performed in research centers focusing on different aspects of managements. These include the ERP Research Centre, Centre for Insurance Research and Education, N S Raghavan Centre for Entrepreneurial Learning, Centre for Public Policy, Centre for Software & Information Technology Management, Centre for Development of Cases and Teaching Aids, Centre for Corporate Governance and Citizenship Centre for Capital Market & Risk Management, Centre for Financial Markets and Institutions and the Supply Chain Management Centre.